Friday, May 10, 2024

Life, As A Character From Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer

 If you were a child of the 60s or 70s, or had younger siblings during that time, you likely heard the story of Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer. It was first published as a book in 1939 by the retailer Montgomery Ward - Remember them? The story was written by Robert L. May and was meant to help children see that their individuality can be be a strength.





The story became a hit song, comic, and published by others like Little Golden Books, and then a TV special created by Rankin/Bass. The last iteration is the one most folks my age are most familiar with - as they likely watched it multiple times as a child, and then if they had younger siblings, or even children of their own, have seen it dozens of times by now.




Almost everyone identifies with Rudolph, the gifted reindeer that nobody wanted to be around. Some see themselves as Hermey, a misfit elf who wants to be a dentist. And then there is Yukon Cornelius, an adventurer and prospector. Of course there are other characters like the rest of the reindeer, elves, Santa, and the narrator, a Snowman voiced by Burl Ives.


But I identified with Bumble - the abominable snow monster. I think he was terribly misunderstood. See, I am a large man, and was a tall kid. I was 6'4" in high school - I would gain another inch in college. When you grow that big and that fast you get hungry. I don't mean to suggest my Mother neglected me, but it seems there was never enough, which makes you hangry. Just like Bumble, much larger than anyone else, and living in an environment with few edible options, you would be hangry too!





Everybody was scared of Bumble - probably for good reason. I too intimidated lots of people. I became a bit of a loner - not because of my size or appetite, it just sort of worked out that way. I had friends, but I never seemed to be anyone's BEST friend - very odd.


Another thing we have in common is discovered at the end of the show - Bumbles bounce! No matter the sport, I had the uncanny ability to get knocked around even by kids much larger, and bounce back up. I might be sore for a week, but I avoided most injuries during the season.


And of course the final similarity is at the end of the story. Bumble demonstrates an uncanny ability to do things that the vertically challenged elves could never do without major assistance, that is, place the star at the top of the Christmas Tree without a ladder. Just yesterday, I walked down an aisle at a store and noticed an older lady straining to reach items on one of the higher shelves. I simply walked over and in my coolest voice ever said, "Allow me."


You would have thought I moved mountains the way she reacted. But it truly was nothing at all. Its those items on the bottom shelf that are tricky. Speaking of that - why are the shortest pant hem lengths on the highest shelf, and the longest ones on the bottom? It really makes absolutely no sense!


So the next time you see an abominable snow monster, remember, they have a purpose too! So be nice! Even if they have no teeth.




You were made for a purpose.




God Has A Perfect Plan For Your Life!






No comments:

Post a Comment