Friday, August 28, 2026

I'll Be Watching You

Think back to the music of your youth. In your innocence, some of the more twisted lyrics likely went right over your head. That hard-rocking song, with the great guitar solo, might have been about date-rape. At 15 or 16, most kids didn't know about things like that, or at least they didn't look for them.


I start with a hypothetical before bringing up the song that truly fits the description. In 1983, the Police released a song titled "Every Breath You Take." It was a hauntingly beautiful song that made the artist (and later band) a whole lot of money. The majority of the public could not hear it enough. Most folks considered it a love song, likely unrequited love. Consider the lyrics.


Every Breath You Take

The Police - 1983


… Every breath you take

And every move you make

Every bond you break

Every step you take

I'll be watching you


… Every single day

And every word you say

Every game you play

Every night you stay

I'll be watching you


… Oh, can't you see

You belong to me?

How my poor heart aches

With every step you take?


… Every move you make

And every vow you break

Every smile you fake

Every claim you stake

I'll be watching you


… Since you've gone, I've been lost without a trace

I dream at night, I can only see your face

I look around, but it's you I can't replace

I feel so cold, and I long for your embrace

I keep crying, baby, baby please


… Oh, can't you see

You belong to me?

How my poor heart aches

With every step you take?


… Every move you make

And every vow you break

Every smile you fake

Every claim you stake

I'll be watching you

Every move you make

Every step you take

I'll be watching you


… I'll be watching you

(Every breath you take)

(Every move you make)

(Every bond you break)

(Every step you take) I'll be watching you


… I'll be watching you

… I'll be watching you

… whoo, hoo

(Every game you play)

(Every night you stay) I'll be watching you

… I'll be watching you

… I'll be watching you

… I'll be watching you

(Every single day)

(Every word you say)

(Every game you play)

(Every night you stay) I'll be watching you


Source: Musixmatch

Songwriters: Gordon Sumner

Every Breath You Take lyrics © Songs Of Universal Inc.


A little bit of stalking might have been cute back in the 80s, but in the last few decades it has often led to some horrific crimes. And the victims are mothers, sisters, and daughters. The reasons can be everything from obsession to jealousy to psychosis.


And the tools for stalking have advanced to the point where you can quite literally watch, hear, and monitor "every breath they take."


It is somewhat comforting to find out that the band did not see this as a cute love song. It was about obsession, and not the good kind.


Sting would later say, "I think I was thinking of Big Brother, surveillance and control." He also said that was the explanation for his "angry" look in the video - see the video at the end of the post.


That is a little more comforting to know. It still doesn't explain how the mass market somehow completely missed this and made it a hit. 






Now when I hear the song, yes it still gets regular play on the stations that feature 80s music, it just seems really creepy, maybe even scary for girls who have experienced that situation.





They weren't the first or last to sing about surveillance. Cheap Trick previously released "Dream Police" which is in this category. Later in 1983 Rockwell would release a humorous song/video "Somebody's Watching Me" with much commercial success. It seems people like being stalked - at least in music.


No matter the situation, there is no reason to be afraid if you are a Believer. Just TRUST in the Lord, Speak His WORDS of Protection and BELIEVE THEM.





No comments:

Post a Comment