Wednesday, December 23, 2009

What Health Care Crisis?

Senator Harry Reid (Demonrat -Nevada) is cramming through Obamacare in time for Christmas! Secret backroom deals, midnight votes, millions in taxpayer funds to buy votes from Senators in Louisiana and Nebraska will be the legacy of this nightmare. But yet it still does not solve the supposed purpose of reform - insuring the uninsured.

Instead it destroys the doctor/patient relationship by inserting an unnecessary government bureaucracy. It mandates that people buy insurance or go to jail. And within a few years, it will run private insurers out of business, while not addressing the serious issue of tort reform. How in the heck does this make health care better?

I rarely get sick. But last week I woke up wheezing and gasping for air. What I thought might have been a simple sinus infection was a case of pneumonia. I know that because the morning it hit the hardest, I called my doctor. By 10am, I was at his office. By 11am, I had all my vitals tested, chest x-rays, blood test, a nebulizer treatment along with a shot of antibiotics and steroids. I carry insurance that I buy through work and my co-pay was $50 which I paid with my flexible spending account (FSA).

At 12, I was at the pharmacy, where I was loaded up with a grocery sack of drugs: antibiotic, decongestant/expectorant, ample supply of breathing treatments, all of which were covered by insurance to some degree with the exception of the portable nebulizer (breathing machine). The total out-of-pocket for me $160, which again I paid for with my FSA.

There is no other country on the planet where I could have been seen, tested, diagnosed and treated that quickly with the latest and most effective drugs available. And were it not for government involvement, threat of lawsuits and other bureaucratic challenges, the price of the service might have been far less.

Pneumonia, which can be fatal if not treated quickly, was just a few days rest for me. But for those waiting a month to see a doctor or for an x-ray in a government-run system, it could easily mean death.

Exactly where is the crisis? Why destroy the very best health care on the planet? Yes, I know the answer and so do you. This is about Democrat control of every aspect of our lives. Instead of raising everyone up and giving them the very best they can get, they want to equalize the misery.

Hope and Change!

No comments:

Post a Comment