Friday, May 19, 2023

Et tu, Miller Lite?

Just when you thought it was safe to watch beer ads again, another company drops another deuce on the world. This time it comes from Miller Lite, a brand from Molson Coors, yet another multinational company. Between them and InBev, they own the majority of top beer brands in the world. So choose wisely.

Take a look for yourself.



Who Is The Target?

My first question is who were they targeting with this ad? Is this supposed to motivate men to buy beer? Is it, aspirational, hoping to change the thinking of  Miller Lite drinkers, altering behavior that has been around for generations? Does the average woman relate more to the sexy models, or the frumpy farmers? Does the spokeswoman command your attention, or is she simply annoying? Is there a pocket of people, men or women, upset that folks don't thank women sufficiently for the creation and development of beer?

The Richness Of The English Language

I find the offensive language unnecessary and annoying. Even though it is censored here, I suspect it may not be in the original, either way its crudeness loses any moral high ground. Women in bikinis are no way similar to feces. Those women worked hard to develop their bodies, and get plenty of sunlight. They went on many auditions, and then made the cut. They were paid for their work, and I promise you, they did work, as "eye candy" and spokeswomen for the brand. Its very mean trashing them now, as many are now enjoying life in their golden years. They did NOTHING wrong!

Do Women Farmers NEED A Handout?

Why is the "fertilizer" given to the farmers? Are they not able to purchase it? Surely there is a cost associated with "recycling advertising" - why do women not have to pay? And there is not an infinite supply of this, so maybe one season for one farm and you're done. Seems like small potatoes. And when done, what has truly been accomplished? Have you added new consumers? Do more women drink your brand? Does ANYONE care?


Do Beer Companies HATE Their Customers?

So many unforced errors by companies lately. I know its been decades since I studied advertising/marketing in college, but are they teaching some sort of "new" marketing these days? Recommending offending your base to win more customers?

If I own a small HVAC business in Kansas, and I like to go fishing and hunting. And on occasion, enjoy a few cold Miller Lites, what is my reaction to this? I probably react as most people would, "What the heck?" I assume its an attack on me, because you know, I kind of liked seeing those pretty women associated with my brand preference. I am very happy with my wife, but the pretty ladies reminded me of my youth with my wife, and that made me happy. But now, my beer is insinuating that I am some sort of disgusting pervert. And frankly, that does not sit well!

Who Is Ilana Glazer? And Why Is She Lecturing Me?

I just want to enjoy my beer. But instead I've got this annoying New Yorker, who likely has never had a Miller Lite, lecturing me about beer and beer advertising. I've never seen this woman, her voice is annoying, and someone needs to wash her mouth out! Why, Miller Lite, why did you release this Harpy on the world? 

Begone from me you Succubus - which is ironic, because Succubi were supposed to be sexy demons, not angry trolls from hell. Hand me the latest SI Swimsuit edition. Maybe that will cleanse my palate.


 

Yikes! Are We In Bizarro World?


Final Thoughts - Say Goodbye To Miller Time

Fortunately, this is not nearly as bad as what Bud Lite is doing to themselves. But I do expect folks to start rethinking their beer decisions if this continues. 

I would take this ad and bury it with the Ark of the Covenant - somewhere it can never be found. Its just really bad. I can't imagine a bunch of marketing experts at Molson Coors watching that hot mess and thinking, wow, that's awesome. I assume the intent was to acknowledge or empower women in some way, and it woefully fails in both. While insulting the thousands of ladies who have represented beer brands in advertising, collateral, and at appearances. They are people who helped build the brand. And this ad just crapped - apologize for the language, all over them. Molson Coors should apologize.

If the intent was to be funny, it completely failed. It was like watching a train wreck, knowing the end was going to be even worse than the start. Educational? Not really. Its likely true women were involved in brewing throughout history, but giving them all the credit - few would believe that.

Think of all that goodwill built over time. Where, "its Miller Time" was a common idiom for going to enjoy some adult beverages, often Miller Lite. Sometimes after a day at work, or a game, or just because you were free, you could enjoy a nice, cold beer. But that is Americans in a nutshell. They just want to be free. Left alone to enjoy life without be constantly lectured. But now even our favorite brands are trying to manipulate us, and frankly, its tiresome.



And for no particular reason...



No comments:

Post a Comment