Friday, March 31, 2006

Parenting 101...

I'm sure you heard about the zombie party murders in Seattle. This was a tragic crime where some nutcase shows up armed to the teeth and starts shooting people for no apparent reason before taking his own life. Six people were killed and two wounded. Among the dead was a 14-year old girl.

As horribly tragic as this was, what really struck me was this one line in the Seattle paper:

"(The Parents) said they allowed their 14-year-old daughter, to go to raves as long she came home by her 3 a.m. curfew. "

The shooting started at 7 a.m.! Its bad enough that it is 4 hours past curfew and your daughter is not home. But what amazes me is who would ever allow a 14-year old to be at a rave where drugs, alcohol and older predatory boys might be present? And who would give a 14-year old girl a 3 a.m. curfew in the first place!? I think my curfew was dark until about16!

I can't imagine the pain that the family is experiencing. But this is a tragedy that should have never happened.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/264580_shootfolo28.html

No comments:

Post a Comment